Thursday, June 6, 2013

Gear reviews from the road

Here are in-depth reviews of four pieces of gear that are living happily in my Brooks Range duffel or are on my body.

Patagonia Active boxers.

These are my go-to favorites and the three pairs I own disappear from my underwear drawer too fast. I got some of the earlier ones on sale in 2006 and wore out the elastic in 5 years. The other four (now three) pairs I have had since 2010 and are my go-to around the house wear. Sometimes the girls I live with ask me why I'm wearing just boxers at 4pm on a weekday afternoon, but they are so comfortable I could care less. Plus they don't really fit that tight, which is a good thing. Patagonia's active boxers truly are I-don't-want-to-take-a-shower-these-are-so-comfy boxers. They allow tons of breathing room, a silky feel all day, and don't absorb too much sweat. I even choose to bike 100km days in them and wear under spandex because they don't bunch up or ride high. The designs are simple but fun: fish prints, climbing gear, checkers, salmon and everything outdoors in between. Fit is pretty dead on, last a couple of years of wearing every couple days. The only pair I don't wear anymore is the pair I sadly left in a friends dorm room halfway across the country. At $32 a pair, I can't justify buying a replacement, but you really can get away with a couple days in town or a week backpacking in these, so no need for more than a few pairs.

First Ascent/ Eddie Bauer Downlight Review
My first downlight, purchased in July for a climb of the Grand Teton, was a go-to for skiing, riding to school, and camping. Pulled double duty as a pillow and comforter, and now somewhere in Eddie's basement, as feathers started leaking after a year. But functionally the jacket was everything a down sweater should be: water-resistant, lightweight (around 110z) and toasty.
Now, the jacket is made with an equally light but more durable fabric that withstands prickles, ski edges, rocks, and bushwhacking. Not downright waterproof, but snow and ice bead off as do light showers. I have had the downlight as my only layer during a legitimate Seattle rainstorm and it soaked through after 25 minutes, which is actually better than some softshells. Fit is a bit wide for me as a single layer, but most people don't have a 28″ waist either. The fit is dead on anyone normally proportioned. They make a tall version as well as a hooded version if you enjoy something extra flopping around your neck.
Available for 199 most of the time and 99 the rest of the time. Eddie Bauer has some good sales and you should be able to grab one for under 150, which is at least 30% less than what comparable sweaters sell for.

Brooks Range Cirro Hoody Review

I got Cirro Hoody belay jacket in red to replace a Patagonia Nano Puff Hoody. The differences between the two jackets are small: both are 60g Primaloft One synthetic shells, with a zippered chest pocket. But the Brooks Range is vastly superior and costs $50 less (199 retail). The big differences come in at the hand warmer pockets and the zipper and hood setup. With no zippers on the handwarmer pockets, they are just what the name suggests- for warming hands (or maybe snacks). This means a flush interface for backpack straps and harnesses with no heavy crap in the pockets.
As for the hood and zipper, they're truly built for outdoor use. The collar and hood combo may not look as streamlined, but having the ability to zip the collar all the way up is amazing, as is the adjustment range for the hood by velcro tab. The zipper is also a dual zipper, which tends to only come into use during technical climbing, but is useful for ventilation and awkward layering situations. At only 15 oz, this jacket should never have to leave your pack. And with primaloft insulation, no weather is too much for the Cirro Hoody- bring it to Alaska heliskiing one month and on a boat in California the next.

Patagonia Piton Hybrid Hoody Review
The Piton Hoody is part of Patagonia's new line of more technical clothes. I've always loved Patagonia's Capilene long underwear, travel shirts and shorts, and the older 90s synchilla fleeces, but for technical wear I stayed away until this year. Along with such offerings as the $700 encapsil 1000 fill down jacket, Patagonia is once again entering the true technical wear category. Their R1 hoody has been a staple for climbing and skiing, but was just a once piece baselayer. With the Piton Hybrid hoody, Patagonia has introduced a fleece that can be used alone or over a light baselayer. Polartec wind pro on the chest, slim fit, looser hood, and burly zipper make this the only fleece you'll need in the outdoors.
I got one right before a two week village to village ski trip in the Republic of Georgia. The soft brushed interior meant I wore the hoody for a week straight, in resort, touring at 4000 meters, warming up for a ski race, and hanging around my host families' Svan stoves. Three days is probably the useable limit in terms of wearing with no wash in the states, but the Piton is so comfortable you won't want to take it off. The single zippered chest pocket hold the most important things only, so choose carefully. I either have car keys and card or passport and a snack if I'm overseas. Might be a bit warm above 50 degrees, but even on warm spring days the ninja style sun, wind, and snow protection is unbeatable, though the ninja tan may scare friends at home.
A bit pricey for a fleece at $180, but not bad considering the layering potential and four season usage. Plus the wonderful cilantro color (Blue and bright green) tends to be a bit cheaper.
-Ben C

No comments:

Post a Comment