Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Colorado... my home

I am still not sure whether I should call Colorado my home, but according to my drivers license, car plates, and vehicle of choice (now a Toyota Tacoma 4 door), I am a Coloradan. I am a Front Range resident and now weekend warrior, because, well, I had a crazy idea to buy some property near Vail. I have driven more in the past six months than in my entire life previously.

Many others seem in the same existence question: go outside, or actually meet people and be a normal urban resident. I am part of the problem, perhaps with more grounding. And I am not sure what may help fix the problem. You come for the mountains, and darn, you visit the mountains. One of ten thousand climbing a 14er on any given day. Are you really a Coloradan, or just someone taking advantage of opportunities and not paying back? What impact will you have on this rapidly expanding city, and the playground to the West.

I grew up on the West Coast looking east to the mountains, and now looking West to the mountains seems a little different. It is the West, but not for those of us who have come from the Far West. Seemingly everyone I meet started in the midwest or the east coast. Where are all the other true Westerners? I do not know. And I miss them. Not that going East didn't have its traffic or problems, but it was going back in time a bit, while going West from Denver is heading to overpriced mountain towns with second homes, or should I say real estate developments that happen to have added a ski area. A big culture shock compared to parking lots full of RVs and beater Subarus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment