Friday, May 31, 2013

Change in travel plans and beautiful ride through Kyrgyzstan to Lake Issyk Kul

In preparation for my trip and research I've been following news in Central Asia. Some iffy but common corruption instances and a lots of presidential decrees. I often hope for a bit of excitement but not too much. Got too much excitement this week waiting in Bishkek. Riots in Barskoon/ Kumtor mine, where I was hoping to research mobile use in a wealthier village, has had some environmental issues and villagers got mad. Rode hours into a headwind along Issyk Kul, expecting protests of a few dozen villagers, but was turned back. Between news updates Thursday night and starting riding Friday morning, the whole town came out protest and bullets started flying. So I turned around and headed out. Got to kochkor after riding through desolate wastelands, along irrigation canals, and past highways to China.

No comments:

Post a Comment