Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A first few days in Longyearbyen and around

Started off another trip to Svalbard a few days ago with 40 hours of flying. Not sure if it was a good idea to arrive with no sleep to somewhere with endless sun, but after a few hours at a deck party I sacked out for 15 hours. Since then I've made plenty of 3k runs from Nybyrn where I'm staying in the barracks down to the town center and general store, UNIS, and Freune, the decent new coffee shop that rightfully calls itself the furthest north coffee bar in the world. Runs for training have been limited a bit by the polar bear safe zone (there probably aren't bears super close to town but the fine isn't so nice if I don't have a rifle on me when off the main roads), but I now have a decent 8k zigzag worked out. Most Norwegians are gone for vacation but there are still big 1000+ person cruise ships- ending next year with a crude oil ban- and plenty of people crucial to the tourism industry in town. Seen some wildlife; they can be found among the pictures below.

No comments:

Post a Comment