Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Views from the Khorog- Dushanbe flight and some thoughts on Yaks

Somehow, I had to get to Dushanbe this week for a flight out of Tajikistan (sad, I know) on Friday. I heard rumors of an awesome flight from Khorog that ran during perfect weather, so I asked around and figured out that my bike would be allowed on as excess baggage for $10. I didn't really expect to make it through the ticketing process- involving dropping off a passport copy several days early and bugging the ticketing ladies a few times- but the alternative was a two day jeep ride on shit roads, so I pulled out all stops to get on the plane. And made it on the plane first after getting to disassemble and load my bike. A bike box certainly would not fit, so I had to get creative with a wrench, stuffing seatpost and bars and such in between Chinese duffels. Tajik Air hand wrote the tickets, and overfilled the flight, but I don't think we were too heavy, and the takeoff was smooth with no unbuckled kids or adults flying too far. The plane flight truly was one of the most spectacular I've had- endless views of mountains changing to rocky cliffs and finally farmland. Plus some snow, wind, rain, and narrow pass crossings with only a few meters room for error.

No comments:

Post a Comment