Thursday, June 27, 2013

Perfect weather. Does it exist in Central Asia?

From weeks of partly cloudy skies to blazing sun, muggy heat, fresh snow, and rainstorms, I think I've received most weather here in Central Asia. Bike tourists always complain and moan about the weather. Too hot, too cold, too sunny, too windy. Sometimes we hunker down for days and wait for some magical change in a holding pattern. Other times rain pants, wool socks, and parkas are donned and kms pumped out. Other days the iPhone mentions perfect weather at home and groans grow with the wind.

I believe, however, that the weather in the Pamirs and Central Asia is perfect. Anything is possible, and nothing is perfect. Every day is a taste of something new, a fashion challenge, and a skin cleanser. Now, looking at fresh snow at 2800 meters across the border in Afghanistan, I just wish I had skis. And a warm cabin. And some decent coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment