Friday, May 18, 2012

Life in bags

Its been quite difficult deciding what gets a spot in my D2R bags, let alone what is actually needed on a trip across the country. Everything fits into 4 bags on the bike: A seat post bag, a handlebar bag, and two panniers. Realizing that life can be sustained with these 4 bags is weird to think about. I have 3 days worth of food, enough sunscreen to keep me covered 10 hours per day, a little bit of clothing in case it gets cold, a tent for the bugs, an Exped Downmat for the best non-tempurpedic rest you can get, and some spare parts.
Will white tights really be necessary in the heat? When will I use laundry detergent? Where should I put my headlamp for easy access? How should my tent poles be attached? What use do I have for rope?
I asked these types of questions over and over, packing and repacking until I had an ideal weight (about 21 pounds) and an adequate amount of stuff for camping.
 My bed, with all my gear laid out to make sure nothing is missing
5 minutes later: Everything in bags, almost ready to go on the plane. 
Next stop: Jacksonville, FL by way of Boston and Baltimore.

2 comments:

  1. How is the Detour d2r panniers set holding up for this transcontinental trip? I stumbled across your blog scouring the internet for reviews. I'm assuming that it's going well since you haven't written about a pannier malfunction yet.

    Looks like an epically fun tour! If you've got tips on touring - since you seem to have done it often - that would be an interesting blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they held up awesome and are still doing great. email me @ benxcski@yahoo.com and I can get you more dets

    ReplyDelete