Monday, May 28, 2012

Southern heat and a broken pedal- text

On a slow internet connection so pixel separate.
More bays and bayous from Biloxi to near Bogalusa, then timberlands from Bogalusa to Franklinton and on to Jackson. Rode 120 miles on the 26th, 85 on the 27th for 901 total. In 100+ degree heat, it feels like climbing at altitude; everything is slower due to the heat and humidity. Passed more beaches, jet skis, and sand bikes in Gulfport, MS and then into fishing territory at Pass Christian. Busy, shoulderless highways in Mississippi turn into Loiusiana 10, a bike friendly, scenic rural byways. Quick stops for cold peaches at fruit stands and $1special smoothies at burger king help a bit with the heat. Saturday night last campsite at bogue chitto state park, and I get full hookup for my nonexistent rv for only $32. Up riding the loose gravel in the park by 7:45, have a pedal fracture by noon, slowing my pace and killing my knees. Rolling riverside farmland turns to prison as I turn off the road south on LA 68 to perry and leps cycling home. Their magic machinic in Baton rouge gets me set up with a new pair of eggbeaters and I am ready to ride. About to head across the mississippi to opelousas.

No comments:

Post a Comment